Tension Rises as Nurses’ Strike Forces Hospitals to Turn Away Patients Amid Staffing Crisis

Healthcare services at Adeoyo Hospital in Ibadan have been severely disrupted following the commencement of a nationwide strike by the National Association of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives (NANNM). The strike, which began on Wednesday, has led to the discharge of admitted patients and a halt in new admissions.

Nurses

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that NANNM directed its members to embark on a seven-day warning strike in protest against the Federal Government’s failure to address longstanding demands. These include:

  • An upward review of shift and uniform allowances
  • A distinct salary structure for nurses
  • Increased core duty allowance
  • Mass recruitment of nursing personnel
  • Establishment of a nursing department within the Federal Ministry of Health

During a visit to Adeoyo State Hospital, located on Ring Road, Ibadan, NAN observed that most wards were empty, with only a few critically ill patients remaining – unattended due to the absence of nurses.

Mr. Adegoke Rahman, a relative of a patient in the female ward, revealed that many patients were asked to leave. His mother, who had recently undergone leg surgery, remained in the ward but was unable to walk or stand. He noted that doctors were doing their best to manage the situation, but no nurses were on duty.

National Association of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives (NANNM)

Similarly, Mr. Samuel Biyi, an outpatient, said he came to the hospital to treat a painful leg wound but was not attended to.

A doctor on duty, who requested anonymity, confirmed that while doctors and other medical personnel were still working, the hospital had suspended admissions. Only outpatient services were being provided, and patients in critical condition were being referred to private hospitals.

The doctor added that patients previously admitted were discharged on Tuesday in anticipation of the strike.

The Oyo State chapter of NANNM has confirmed full compliance with the nationwide directive. In a statement issued on Tuesday, the state secretary, Comrade Emmanuel Aina, said the decision followed an emergency meeting of the National Executive Council and a directive from the association’s national headquarters.

Related Threads

Recent Threads

error: Content is protected!!